Saturday, April 01, 2006

5 Years Ago Today


Today marks the 5th year to the day that Christian and I met in London. April 1, 2001. So he prepared a suprise day for me.
We left the house around 11 and drove into Orpington. We started off having breakfast at the Olive Tree on the high street. Its significant to us because it's where Christian used to take me after he would pick me up from the airport when I would come over to visit.
After that, we walked upto Orpington Station and took the train into London Bridge. I honestly had no idea where we were going. We took the underground to a place called Swiss Cottage, in West London. He said we had some time to kill before we did whatever we were doing. So we walked around this lovely area, looking at the gorgeous brownstones in this obviously posh area.
We also found a small outdoor market, which I adore. We looked along the market; way too expensive to consider buying anything from, but fun to look at. We did give in and buy a fudge brownie between the two of us. It was worth it. Then Christian turned me around and walked me straight into a building I hadn't even noticed directly behind where we were. It was a theatre. I looked up and who do I see on the wall as the star but Patricia Routledge; better known as Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet) from
Keeping Up Appearances, one of my favo(u)rite TV shows here in Britain. I started to cry (almost); this was a GREAT suprise. Apparently, Christian had bought the tickets weeks ago, after I saw the play advertised in the newspaper one morning. He received the last available tickets; they went quickly as this was the final day of the performance. .
It was an endearing play called
The Best of Friends, with her as a nun, George Bernard Shaw, and a Sir of some kind. It took place between 1923-1953. It was very sweet, and Christian and I were the youngest people in the theatre.
Afterwards, we walked down Oxford Street and up Regent Street. We stopped in front of the Virgin Records store on Piccadilly Circus, on the very spot where we met 5 years ago, and had a private romantic moment.
We walked through China Town & Leicester Square, hopped on a train back to Orpington, and ended up at a Chinese restaurant in Orpington, where we regaled three 9 year old girls (and their mothers) with the wonders of the United States.
We've just gotten home. It was a wonderful day.

No comments: